Saturday, March 14, 2020

typewriter

our special prop

So as most of you already know, our film is taking place in the 70's. It took a while for us to finally figure our what we want to use in order to show Lana, the main character's thoughts and help give the viewer a more personal view. We are using asynchronous sound in our film opening. What I mean by this is that what you see matches what you hear. We are going to switch off from voice over ( or V.O) in our film openig. As she is talking about what she is doing when she wakes up in the morning, we are going to match what she is saying out loud to what she is writing in the typewrite. 

Where things get complicated

Now this is where things get kinda complicated. We know we want to use a typewriter as a way for her to document her feelings. The problem is that since we don't actually live in the 70s (even though it was probably better than 2020 in my opinion but THATS BESIDES THE POINT), we would need to find an actual typewriter. 

WE FOUND A LOOPHOLE

Obviously since this is a film and the audience can only see what we want them to see, I realized we can just buy a fake typewriter that people use as decorations from like home goods or something and use that instead. Not only is this gonna be a lot cheaper, but I also kind of want one for my room so it's convenient for me if I end up buying it anyway.

Update!!

One of my group members, Sydney said she might have a type writer decoration we can use so that makes things a lot easier.

Celtx

Since we're not gonna be using an actual typewriter but we still need to make it look like she is typing and we want to show the actual writing, I realized we need to find something that looks like typewriter writing.... CELTXXXXXX. Okay so if you don't already know what celtx is I'm here to tell you. Basically it's a website we use to make our scripts for films and I talked about it in my last blog. So last class I was doing part of the script while I was thinking about the typewriter and it made me realize that the writing on it looks a lot like typewriter writing so I think we should make a seperate "script" that's gfonna be the one we use as her typewriter writing.
typewriter font

The biggest struggle

I think the biggest thing we are going to struggle with is ngetting the camera at the perfect angle for there not to be a reflection on the screen. Since we want it to look like an actual typewriter we have to MAKE SURE that we do everything possible to show that it is not a screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment